|A.No.5 - 0-6-0T - Kitson & Co - 1883 - Operational|
A.No.5 is an 0-6-0 side tank built in 1883 by Kitson and Company. It was the last working example of the 1841 patented Stephenson 'long boiler' design, to produce higher steam pressure while retaining a small wheelbase. Unsuited for high speeds, they nonetheless satisfied a need for powerful shunters at certain industrial railways like the Consett Iron and Steel Company. Withdrawn in 1972 it passed to Beamish Museum and then the Tyne & Wear Museums Service at Monkwearmouth Station, Sunderland, where the Monkwearmouth Station Museum Association began its overhaul from a very derelict condition. It returned to steam in 1986. It was overhauled in 1995/6 and again in 2013/14.
This 0-6-0 saddle tank was built in 1939 as works number 1979 by Peckett & Sons of Bristol for Ashington Coal Company which operated one of Britain's most extensive colliery railway systems. In 1939, two identical locomotives were delivered to one of Peckett's standard designs and they received the names Ashington No.5 & Ashington No.6. The former spent her entire industrial career on the railway for which she was built. In 1969 she was sold by the National Coal Board to North Norfolk Preserved Railway because the Ashington system was dieselised. However she returned to Northumberland in 1991 and was repainted into the "as delivered to Ashington Colliery" livery. The loco was additionally named Jackie Milburn in honour of the local football hero.
|No.1 - 'Ted Garret JP' - 0-6-0T - Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns - 1951 - Awaiting Overhaul|
No.401 was one of a class of three built for the Steel Company of Wales in 1951 to an advanced specification designed to provide a low maintenance competitor to the diesel shunters emerging. As such it had many advanced features not seen on other industrial steam locomotives. It was sold to Austin Motor Co. Ltd., of Longbridge, Birmingham in 1957 before passing in 1973 to the developing West Somerset Railway. Once it became surplus to larger locomotives there, the Stephenson Railway Museum purchased 2994 and repainted it from "Kermit the frog" green to a black livery similar to a NER style, and named after local MP Thomas Burt. It remained in regular use until 2009 when it was withdrawn from service, requiring major firebox repairs.
|'Billy' - 0-4-0 - George Stephenson - 1826 - Static Exhibit|
Billy was built by George Stephenson in 1826, one of the various pioneering early designs now known as the Killingworth locomotives, as they were built for use in Killingworth colliery. It is often referred to as the Killingworth Billy to differentiate it from the Puffing Billy built by William Hedley in 1913 for Wylam Colliery. Killingworth Billy ran until 1881, when it was presented to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne. It is a stationary exhibit mounted on a short stretch of period track which features the block mounted rails, to remain compatible with horse drawn trains (horses would be tripped up by conventional sleepers).